Social Icons

twitterfacebookgoogle pluslinkedinrss feedemail

Παρασκευή, Οκτωβρίου 26, 2012

The New Beehive Inn

Someone who does not know a city very well, gets more of the information from internet. Google becomes their best friend. Google maps their second nature. Yellow pages the same. And there is a tendency to believe what they read. This pub "The New Beehive Inn"  had a few nice reviews and we decided to visit it!
What I loved to read was that the lights are gas light, and that there are more than one bars. Five of them! Also that is an old building and very traditional. It is the best pub in town with fantastic atmosphere, according to a review!
As you can see in the photos, the lamps give a strange light, so it may be gaslit.
Also the decoration is old and traditional. No objection to it!
But I do not know where the five bars are! I found just one where I sat. Maybe a second one, but I could not see the entrance to go there.  I could ask the barman of course, but I hesitated. Though he was not bad, he was a fairly helpful guy, he was not very happy. Probably he was not happy with his customers.
 The clients were just a few for a Friday evening...and all of them quite strange! I mean completely!
Deaf people speaking with sign language and inarticulate cries, a paranoid who was swearing, some drug addicts, a depressed guy who was looking at his bottle all the time, another one quite happy who was reciting lyrics, a strange girl who wanted to be happy and social with some boring people...So that was what the review meant by great atmosphere.
Myself I did the mistake and I bought a very nice Strongbow that I could not drink! What a disgusting thing!  So I asked for a Guinness! Much better!
To be honest, I do not like the support I get from internet in "studying" my new city. I suppose that the best way to get to know a city is to go everywhere, and to judge by your own taste and with your own mind what you like and what not, what worth a visit and what does not!